Saturday, February 23, 2008

Tending Roses





Author: Lisa Wingate

If Ms Wingate’s sole intention of penning this is to make us ‘stop and smell the roses’; I’d say she has succeeded.

Kate Bowman has a task no one can possibly envy – to cajole 89-year old Grandma Rose to move out of her Missouri farm to a nursing home. Although almost senile and has, on several occasions, unwittingly almost set the half-century old house on fire, Grandma Rose is a strong and stubborn character, who through her own handwritten daily dairy, has been telling Kate more about life than Kate would possibly imagine or learn from anyone else.

Kate herself does not come to the farm with no baggage. On maternity leave with an infant who has a chronic disease and a husband who is struggling with a new business, Kate is often exasperated by the emotional and financial problems. Throughout her stay at the farm and through her interactions with Grandma Rose, she is forced to re-evaluate her life and priorities.

This book is a wake-up call of sorts to me. As with Kate, I begin to rethink of my life and my priorities and if I am really doing justice to those whom I claimed I love. I especially like this from the book: ‘Maybe you should start wanting less.’

I think if we live by that mantra, we can be much happier than we are now.

Kate’s financial problem is something that we all struggle with everyday, and in that aspect, I can sympathize with her and her frustrations.

However, the flow of the book is quite slow – while characters develop fast, the pace is sluggish. Perhaps, it has to do with the setting – an old sleepy farm town in Missouri. Yawn.

The TRUIzM
A slow-moving book with characters AND issues that you can easily identify with. To read only if you have a huge amount of patience.

No comments: